Warning: You are not logged in.
Your IP address will be recorded in this page's edit history.
Project is current:
Tom, Tazo, Koen, Impy, Bert, fs111
Short description of the project:
We are leaking heat. Fast. Need to increase isolation level of the space.
== About ==
It's winter, it's snowy and it's cold. We are using the heating a lot. We checked the gas meter. At an expected price point of 0.38 euros, it seems that (current state - previous state) * price => (22868 - 21640) * 0.38 = 466.64 euros, on the 4th of December. That is a lot!
The plan is to cut costs by investing in isolation. Obvious problems seem to be the roof-windows leaking heat, windows leaking heat, poor adaptability to heat one room and let the other one stay cold.
== Possibilities ==
Please add any suggestions you can think of below. Remember: the point is to cut cost. Not to end up with the most fancy isolation system in the western hemisphere.
=== PU-foam (selected) ===
Can be used to close all open-air gaps for the roof windows
* Easy to install
* With lots of cans, becomes pricey
* about 10 euros per can, we will need around 6
=== Door between two rooms (selected) ===
Should help us only heating one room and letting the other one stay cold.
* We have already a door (thx Kurt)
* Takes some work to install it
* Still need some wood and plugs to install it properly
* Door installed
* Temporary bubblewrap above
* Locks down air movement well
=== Transparent plates ===
Buy see trough plates that are thick enough to trap some air (like double sided glass), and use them as a second layer to provide insulation.
* Will probably very effective
* Lets sunlight in during day time
* Might be a bit more expensive
* How to close the sides of the plates to prevent draft
=== "Theater" cloth ===
Get cloth just like the black one we already have in the back and seal off all roof windows.
* Will probably work reasonably
* Will be cheap if we can get it for free
* Easy to install and to seal
* We might not be able to get it for free to by
* Might not work as well as we would like
== Progression ==
=== Plan ===
# Get PU-foam
# Get door installed
=== Action points: ===
* 4th December, at 14:00, gathering at the space to go shopping for PU foam and door pieces in Ledeberg =>
** foam acquired
** door installed
** temporary door cover at top with bubble wrap
* 5th December, at 12:30: foaming
** foaming done partially
** not enough foam
* 6th December, at 20:00: new cans, continue foaming
** new foam available, 4 cans left
** all non-movable sides are foamed
** some foam is cut already
** door lock installed and half a door handle
** todo: cutting and movable parts
** todo: door lock needs to be replaced by other one (directionality) once we have full door handle
** todo: door cover at top with beams
* 8th December, at 20:00: movable parts (requires roof access) and cutting excess foam
** too tired, not done
* ''when?/todo'': movable parts (requires roof access) and cutting excess foam
This is a minor edit
Watch this page