|Make an arcade machine!|
|Koenraad, Koen, Tom2, Kasper|
Sandb acquired some kiosk stands discarded by his employer. They look ideally suited to make Arcade Machine.
In order of preference
- Xbox (1st gen) is a great platform, it's cheap and fast enough for MAME and other emus, it has USB-compatible ports (with a different form factor) for joysticks
- Small Linux box with MAME can easily fit into the bottom cabinet with room to spare.
- 'real' hardware
- Gameduino could be nice.
Update: Tom2 acquired a secondhand xbox + 2 controllers.
An Arcade machine should be CRT based, but LCD seems only feasible option.
We need some brainstorming on what kind of controls we want on the panel.
- Buy one
- Tom2 can provide happ arcade controls consisting of 2 joysticks, 14 buttons, player1/2-button. See pictures for a preview.
- A USB Joystick is also available for this project. This joystick can be tested using these commands:
sudo apt-get install joystick jscal /dev/input/js0 jstest /dev/input/js0
Options to hook up buttons:
- hack a keyboard and use PS2 port
- build a USB joystick using atmega8 
- hack xbox controllers
Low-quality speakers for playing 8-bit music are needed. We should hide them somewhere (bottom of the controls panel?).
Existing backlighted panels (especially on top) can be used for some tacky artwork/whitespace logo. Vinylcutter at timelab can be used for this.
 Still needed
- electronics to build xbox vga output (LM1881 ic + spare xbox video cable)
- electronics to build 2 USB joystick interfaces + 2 spare xbox controller connections (cheap xbox extension cables?)
- speakers (some cheap speakers with built-in amp)
- TFT (Tom2 may be able to provide 17" 1280*1024 screen)
- 28mm drill bit (hole saw)
- cabinet in space
- buttons + joysticks acquired
- tft found
- computer (athlon 2100xp) found
- secondhand xbox purchased
- 2 * teensyusb 2.0 ordered (awaiting arrival) for USB HID interface
 To Do
In order of importance
- build USB HID interface
- get software running on a pc
- decide on button layout + drill holes
- wire up buttons to interfaces
- get software running on xbox
- build usb -> xbox usb adapter
- build xbox vga connection
- build screen mount?