|Make an arcade machine!|
|Koenraad, Koen, Tom2, Kasper|
Sandb acquired some kiosk stands discarded by his employer. They look ideally suited to make Arcade Machine.
In order of preference
- Xbox (1st gen) is a great platform, it's cheap and fast enough for MAME and other emus, it has USB-compatible ports (with a different form factor) for joysticks
- Small Linux box with MAME can easily fit into the bottom cabinet with room to spare.
- 'real' hardware
- Gameduino could be nice.
An Arcade machine should be CRT based, but LCD seems only feasible option.
We need some brainstorming on what kind of controls we want on the panel.
- Buy one
- Tom2 can provide happ arcade controls consisting of 2 joysticks, 14 buttons, player1/2-button. See pictures for a preview.
- A USB Joystick is also available for this project. This joystick can be tested using these commands:
sudo apt-get install joystick jscal /dev/input/js0 jstest /dev/input/js0
Options to hook up buttons:
- hack a keyboard and use PS2 port
- build a USB joystick using atmega8 
- hack xbox controllers
Low-quality speakers for playing 8-bit music are needed. We should hide them somewhere (bottom of the controls panel?).
Existing backlighted panels (especially on top) can be used for some tacky artwork/whitespace logo. Vinylcutter at timelab can be used for this.